• A congressional request for Mr. Trump’s tax returns has put one of his most loyal aides, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, at the center of what is shaping up to be an extraordinary legal battle between two branches of the United States government.
• Senator Bernie Sanders said that he would release 10 years of tax returns by Tax Day on Monday. And he acknowledged his best-selling book threw him into the ranks of the millionaires he has denounced for years.
• How is a presidential campaign different from a presidential “movement”? It’s not really clear. But the latter is in vogue in the 2020 race.
• Today’s Democratic Party is perceived as dominated by its left wing. But the views of Democrats on social media often bear little resemblance to those of the wider Democratic electorate. Here’s a data-driven look at the party’s true, though underrepresented, ideology.
• Facing opposition from both the Democratic Party’s liberal wing and fiscal hawks, House Democrats delayed voting on a two-year budget that would increase military and domestic spending.
• In white words against a black backdrop, the frames scroll by: “First They Ignore You,” “Then They Laugh at You,” “Then They Call You Racist.” But the video, which Mr. Trump shared on Twitter on Tuesday — before it was taken down because of an apparent copyright complaint — was not a product of his 2020 campaign. Officials said it was made by a supporter.
Today’s On Politics briefing was compiled by Isabella Grullón Paz in New York.
Were you forwarded this newsletter? Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox.
Is there anything you think we’re missing? Anything you want to see more of? We’d love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com.