Health officials say a Pierce County man tested positive for measles after visiting several public places while contagious.
The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department says this case is not associated with the recent traveler diagnosed with measles announced by health officials last week.
“We urge those [who do not have immunity] to determine if they were at any of the locations where they may have been exposed to measles. Children and adults who are up-to-date with their measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccinations are very well protected and not considered at risk, even at places of possible exposure to measles,” said Anthony L-T Chen, MD, MPH, Director of Health, Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.
Health department officials say the man visited the following locations between May 6-11:
- May 6: Orting Transmission, 5 p.m. – 7:15 p.m.; Orting High School, 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- May 7: Sea-Tac International Airport (area around gate A10), 10 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.; Orting Transmission, 5 p.n. – 8 p.m.; Orting High School, 7:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- May 9: Sea-Tac International Airport (area around gate A10), 10 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.; Discount Tire in Bonney Lake, 4 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.; Skookum Archery in Puyallup, 6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- May 10: 76 Gas Station Market in SeaTac, 6:30 a.m. – 8:40 a.m.; Orting Transmission, 3:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m and 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- May 11: Sound Family Medicine Bonney Lake Walk-in Clinic, 8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- May 6 – 10: Sea-Tac International Airport (Main parking garage 8th floor, far southern garage elevator, 4th level breezeway to escalator, terminal to baggage claim area), 5:30 a.m. – 8 a.m.; Sea-Tac International Airport (Baggage claim area to escalator, 4th level breezeway, far southern garage elevator, 8thfloor parking garage), 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Measles symptoms typically appear seven to 21 days after exposure. The virus can remain in the air for up to two hours.
If you think you have contracted measles, notify a clinic or hospital before arriving for evaluation.
The health department says the man was not hospitalized and is recovering at home.